|Six artists will be chosen by commitee to share their creative talents with|
the community, in our private 800 square foot window front studio space at
Hub City Lofts in downtown Hattiesburg.
Individuals or collaborative groups will be in the studio space for seven
weeks at the time. Living accomodations are not included.
The postmarked deadline to apply is June 15, 2017
The full prospectus and application form is available below
Be sure to read it carefully and completely
The Hattiesburg Arts Council extends a warm thank you to our 2016-2017 sponsors:
Hattiesburg Clinic Internal Medicine
The Greater Pine Belt Foundation (Ann
Morris Memorial Fund)
Coca Cola Bottling Company
Hub City Lofts
Leadership Pinebelt Class of 2016
The First; A National Banking Assoc.
Trinity Episcopal Church
Area Development Partnership
Bryan Nelson Law Firm
Finlo Construction Co., Inc.
Lincoln Road Package Store
Merit Health Wesley
New South Restaurant Group
South Group Insurance
Brown Bottling Company
C. L. Dews & Sons Foundry
Great Southern Bank
Moore Funeral Homes, Inc.
Overhead Door Co. of Hattiesburg Inc.
Roberts & Associates
Robin Roberts Attorney at Law
Anderson Design Center
HMP Nursing Services, Inc.
Ellen Bevon CPA
Southern Oaks House & Garden
Arc of Southeast Mississippi
Hattiesburg Area Historic Society
Hattiesburg Historic Downtown Assoc.
Hub City Spokes
Keg & Barrel
Live @ Five
Mississippi Music Inc.
Mobile Street Renaissance Festival
Standard Office Supply
Supply the Art (Cade Slaughter)
Town Square Cafe & Bakery
Twin Forks Wine & Provisions
University of Louisiana-Lafayette
University of Southern Mississippi
USM School of Construction
William Carey University
State Sponsors and Grants
City of Hattiesburg/Parks
and Recreation Dept.
Forrest County Board of Supervisors
Mississippi Arts Commission.
HAC Mission Statement
“As the official arts agency of the City of Hattiesburg, the Hattiesburg Arts Council’s purpose is to support, promote, sponsor,
and coordinate existing arts related activities and organizations in the community and to establish new ones where the cultural
need has not been filled.”
HAC Open Studio on Front Program Mission
Through a contracted occupancy, the Hattiesburg Arts Council wishes to support, promote and encourage artists in any of
the five major art disciplines (visual, music, dance, theater and literary) by providing studio work and exhibition space for 7
weeks in downtown Hattiesburg along with the opportunity to collaborate with other artists and art disciplines.
The Selection Process
HAC Open Studio on Front will conduct a highly selective adjudication process for selecting each candidate. Selection will be
made by scoring on criteria of originality, execution and presentation of work samples. In the interest of fairness, the Open
Studio Jury Committee will be a blind panel of qualified professional artists – identification of the applicant will NOT be known to
the panel. Recommendations of the panel will be made to the HAC Executive Director and Board for final approval.
Visual: 2-dimensonal works in Drawing, Painting, Mixed Media, Photography, Watercolor and Pastels and small-scale 3-
dimensional works in Fiber/Leather, Stained Glass, Jewelry, and Wood. Small Scale 3-D is limited by space available with large
3-D equipment and work inappropriate for this space.
The Performing Arts: Dance, Theater, Music, and the Literary Arts (writing and/or storytelling).
Requirements for Application: (postmarked deadline June 15, 2017)
Application Form with fee (must be 18 or older, and live in Hattiesburg or surrounding area. Application Fees are non-
refundable: $30.00 (non-student) or $20.00 (student: ID required)
Work Samples (see specifications below) and a list of submitted work samples
One personal and one work related reference letter
Promotional material (optional)
Work Samples (Unaccepted work: manufactured or mass-produced items or kits)
- Submit 5-6 images (jpeg on disc or flash-drive) that best represent your work
- Be sure that your images DO NOT have your name visible!
- Submit examples of the medium you will be working and exhibiting in, i.e. performance as a DVD; writing as a manuscript.
- Artist agrees to have some works (prints or originals) available for purchase under $100.00
- Artist agrees to donate a piece of art to a sponsor of this program, to be determined at end of each residency
- At some point during the residency the artist will be asked to share their experience with the public by demonstration,
talk, or other means.
- Artist will have use of the space daily from 9am- 9pm, at their discretion, only
- The space will be open to the public once a week for three hours (day and time to be determined based on seasonal
events), and again from 3-6 on Saturdays
- Artist agrees to be present to monitor the space
- Artist agrees to be present during any Art Walk or downtown function
- Artist agrees to work during set business hours (9am- 9pm) for safety reasons
- Artist agrees to display at least 10-12 pieces in gallery space at all times (Hardware will be provided)
- Artist understands and agrees that the space will continue to be used for HAC Art Outreach on Front (Adult classes)
during his/her residency
- Artist agrees to limited volunteer time with the Hattiesburg Arts Council throughout the contracted period
- Artist will not bring any dangerous items including alcohol, illegal drugs, firearms, or hazardous materials into or around
- Artist agrees to keep the space clean at all times
- Artist agrees to adhere to any building restrictions; Parking in downtown public spaces ONLY; HAC is not responsible for
theft or loss during residency
- Artist agrees to 70% of sales to artist and 30% to HAC; Cash or check sales only
- A consignment sheet will be signed and used for inventory
- Any breach of agreements will result in termination
- If the work you execute while in residency is inconsistent with submitted images or work samples, HAC reserves the right to
terminate the contract
Benefits to Artists
- Inclusion in all HAC online and printed publicity and promotions
- Exposure of participant’s artwork to Hattiesburg downtown area and tourists
- Approximately 900 – 1000 square feet of studio and exhibit space provided in the Hattiesburg downtown area
- An opportunity for art sales and experiences in arts management, branding and interaction with the HAC staff, board
members, and patrons
- An open studio will give the artist a professional studio art experience with the chance to take advantage of unforeseen
opportunities that occur during his/her time with the HAC Open Studio on Front program
Suggestions to the Artist
- Be prepared to help promote yourself as a professional artist
- For visual artists showing artwork in the space, have all artwork clearly labeled with title, medium, size, and price
- Have contact information, resumes, and other promotional materials ready
NAME: ___________________________________________________________________________ Fee: ____________
(Must be 18 or older, and live in Hattiesburg or surrounding area.
Application Fees are non-refundable: $30.00 for non-student or $20.00 for student. Copy of ID required)
HOME PHONE: ______________________________ CELL PHONE: _____________________________________
EMAIL ADDRESS: __________________________________________________________________________________
WEB SITE ADDRESS: (if applicable) ___________________________________________________________________
ART DISCIPLINE: ___________________________________________________________________________________
ART MEDIUM: ______________________________________________________________________________________
BRIEF NARRATIVE: How would you benefit from this opportunity?
Weeks preferred by order (1-6) of preference (1 being your first choice):
____ August 5 - September 23 ____ January 20 – March 10
____ September 30 - November 18 ____ March 17 – May 5
____ November 25 - January 13, 2018 ____ May 12 – June 30
Submit this form along with all requirements of the application, listed in the prospectus
that pertains to the applicant’s submission, by postmarked deadline June 15, 2017 to:
Hattiesburg Arts Council
P.O. Box 693
Hattiesburg, MS 39401-0693
|Are you looking for a studio space?
HAC Open Studio on Front.
|Are you looking for a studio space?
|Apply for the HAC Open Studio on Front
The HAC Open Studio on Front invites artists from
all five art disciplines to apply for a seven week
artist-in-studio opportunity !